Sunday, March 6, 2011

Do all authors have ADD or is it just me?

A week ago, I had my next three books lined up and ready to go.  And then, as it seems so often to do, inspiration struck.  I had a great idea for a vampire book, a TRUE vampire book, and I can't seem to get it out of my head.  The problem is that I'm almost a quarter of the way through the dystopian novel I planned and had every intention of starting on the sequel to The Reaping after that followed by a whimsical book for the younger kids.  Is it just me or do things like this happen to other writers, too?  All I can think about is this new vampire book idea.

So, then comes the question:  should I put the dystopian on hold and write the vampire novel first?  Should I finish the dystopian and put The Reaping sequel on hold and write the vampire book? Or should I try to push the vampire book to the back of my mind and do as I'd planned? 

I've never put inspiration on hold to stick to a "plan" and I feel a bit traitorous even considering it.  I mean, where would a writer be without inspiration?  And, if you've ever written a book, you know what a beautiful thing it is when you get so wrapped up in an idea, in a concept or in a character.  I almost hate to put that on the back burner, ya know?

It seems there are no answers today.  Therefore, I'm not doing any writing today. I'm only jotting down ideas and letting my thoughts run where they will.  Maybe tomorrow I'll know.  I just have the sneaking suspicion that I'll be writing a vampire novel sooner rather than later:)

But that's ok.  I'm excited to meet my newest friends and get to know them a little better, to join them in their world and help them solve their problems.  In a way, it's like a vacation.  Only it's not. 

Recently, I read a quote from Eugene Ionesco that says, "A writer never has a vacation.  For a writer, life consists of either writing or thinking about writing."  I'm convinced truer words were never spoken!  But I love it nonetheless.
Post a Comment