Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Measure of Success

Success.  I hope it's not measured by how cool and highly functional one's blog is.  If that's the case, I'm screwed:)  I can't even get my video bar up and running properly.  Grrr! 

But that's not what I want to talk about (I've done enough growling around the house about it already- I need to just let it go, let it go, let it go *exhale* ahhh).

So, I was checking my numbers this morning, as I do obsessively (and I do mean OBSESSIVELY), and I realized that I've been selling books in the UK and I had no idea.  Yay UK!!  I also finally posted my books to Barnes and Noble the day before yesterday and they're selling well there, too.  Yay Nook users!!

Sybil moment:  I think this is as good a place as any to interrupt myself and give a huge THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to each and every person out there who has bought one of my books.  I hope and pray that your days are richly blessed for supporting my work!

Now, back to the paragraph before my Sybil moment.  When I say "selling well", that is a very subjective term.  To me, a brand spankin' new author, I'm tickled to death with any sales.  My version of success is probably far different than that of, oh say, Amanda Hocking, who is probably well into the millions by now.  And I say good for her!

But it occurs to me that, after years and years of working at various jobs that I hated for one reason or another, I am now doing something that I love and I'm actually getting paid for it.  How awesome is that?  How much of a success is that in and of itself?  Huge, I tell you.  HUGE!  Now granted, my very first day of sales brought me a whopping $4.18, but that will no doubt be the sweetest $4.18 I'll ever make.  To me, knowing that someone out there is willing to pay their hard-earned money for something that I poured my heart and soul into is worth far more than just money (please see Sybil moment above).

So, I've decided that success is no longer something to be measured, it's something to be savored.  For me, I've already succeeded at what I set out to do.  Everything else--every sale, every compliment, every good review, every encouraging comment, every happy reader, every awesome person I meet-- is just the best gravy in the entire world, gravy that I've never been more thankful for (please see Sybil moment above...again).

No one else can measure your success, unless you define success by what other people say it is.  It's not, by the way.  Success is what you alone can see when you put the goals you set out to accomplish in one side of the balance, the result of your efforts in the other and the scale tips in favor of your results.  When what you've accomplished is equal to or more than your original goal, you've succeeded.  That, ladies and gentlemen, is success.  That's what you celebrate!
Post a Comment