So you read one of my books and you loved it. How can you help my Indie writing career and show your support of my book? Let me give you a list of ways.
A special thanks to every single reader who has taken a chance on an Indie and then gone on to do great things, like show how the power of one can move mountains.
- Word of mouth- The best thing you can do for any product you love is tell your friends. Tell them in forums, on your blog, Twitter, in person. Any way you can communicate your love for something works great.
- Write a review- Reviews are like currency for indie writers. It lets other potential readers know that people are reading and enjoying the book and makes it easier for them to decide to buy the book. You can post a review on your blog, the book seller’s site (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc…), and reading sites like GoodReads. Or, you can cross post your review on all of them. It’s an awesome gesture and so, so, SO helpful.
- Rate, tag, and like my book on Amazon- Amazon has a bizarre way of ranking books that nobody seems to really understand, but doing things like tagging or rating a book only takes a second of your time, but helps get the book into the hands of the people who will most enjoy that type of book.
- Give me feedback- If the book doesn’t work for you and you don’t want to hurt my sales with negative feedback, but you don’t feel like you can give honest positive feedback, please know that I’m open to hearing whatever it is that you want to say about it. I want to know what’s working and what's not. I am not the temperamental artist type so don’t fear my crazy wrath. And if you have nothing but good things to say, feel free to let me know that too. I’ll never turn down a little feel good.
- Offer to host me on your blog- If you really love the book and you feel like I might be a good fit for your blog readership, ask me to do a guest post or an interview. I won’t say no and we both get something from the partnership- I get access to your readers and it’s a day that you don’t have to come up with a post of your own. Wins all around! Yay!
- Put an excerpt of my book in the back of yours- Have a new book coming out and think that the first scene or two of one of my books would appeal to your readers? Shoot me a note and we’ll work something out.
- Recommend the book- This goes along with the whole word of mouth thing from way up the list, but it bears repeating. If you see an opportunity to recommend any (or all) of my books to someone who will enjoy it, it would help get the word out. Book bloggers, reading groups, friends and family members. A sincere recommendation can sell a book to almost anyone.
- Read books by other Indie authors- If you like my book then buy books by other Indie authors. We’re all in the same boat as we struggle to promote our books. Buying a book from an indie not only helps them pay the bills, but it gives them a sense of validation to know that someone wants to read what they’ve taken the time to write. Buying Indie helps to support our little community and without my Indie writing friends, I might not have even heard about Indie publishing.
- Buy the book- If you truly loved the book and want to show support, buying the book would help out a lot. Of course there is the money that I’ll see from your purchase, which is awesome and appreciated, but buying the book has the additional benefit of raising my rankings on the site where you buy it, which will increase my visibility to other buyers.
- Gift the book to your friends and family- Gifting the book not only counts as a sale (which benefits me as stated above), but it also introduces my book to a new potential fan who can then do all the things in this list.