Monday, May 9, 2011

Interview with Author Courtney Cole

I have a special treat for everyone this morning.  New Indie author of YA Paranormal Romance, Courtney Cole, has stopped by to tell me a little bit more about herself and her book, Every Last Kiss.  I thought I'd share what I learned about this amazing writer with you.


What would you do if you held Fate in your hands?How awesome is that cover?? 
17-year old Macy Lockhart has the weight of the world on her shoulders.  For thousands of years, she has been a Keeper in the ancient organization, the Order of the Moirae… and she literally holds fate in her hands.
But this is something that she forgets because her memories are wiped clean in every life until it is time for her cycle to start again.  For the last two thousand years, this has never been a problem.   Until now.  And now…Fate, the very thing that Macy was born to keep, is being challenged and she has only one choice:  To return to a previous life to fix it; a life where she was Cleopatra’s handmaiden, Charmian.

And that’s not all.  Unless she interferes with the fabric of time, the very thing she has returned to repair, her soul mate will die leading Marc Antony’s forces against Rome.  Can she really stand aside and allow the love of her life to die all over again? 


Courtney is a novelist who, given the choice, would rather write than eat chocolate (although she seriously hopes that she is never forced to choose).  

After earning a Bachelor’s degree in Business from Indiana Wesleyan University, she discovered that no amount of working in the corporate world could quell her urge to write.  Every Last Kiss is her debut novel, followed closely in January 2012 by the second book in the series.
Courtney lives in Mishawaka, Indiana with her real-life Prince Charming, her ornery kids (there is a small chance that they get their orneriness from their mother) and a small domestic zoo.  Learn more about Courtney and her books at


M:  In one short sentence, tell us about your book.

CC:  Yikes.  I always hate this question.  It’s so hard to fit it into one sentence.  But then, that might be because I talk too much.  Okay, here goes:  Every Last Kiss is a fast-paced paranormal romance based around the idea that the Fates are real… and that they have an active hand in determining the outcome of mortal lives.  

M:  What inspired your story?

CC:  Well, I was pondering fate one day and thinking about tragic people who might change their own fates if they could.  That led me down the path of thinking about Cleopatra… and from there, my idea just developed a life of its own.

M:  If your book were to be made into a movie, who would you cast to play your main characters?

CC:  Hmm.  You know, I think I would like unknown actors to play in it. I always hate it when I go to the movies and I’m distracted because I associate those actors with other movies.

M:  When did you first begin writing?

CC:  When I was just a kid.  I read stacks and stacks of books… and if I didn’t like an ending to one, I just wrote my own. 

M:  What has been the biggest influence to your career as a writer? 

CC:  Well, I was lucky enough to really start getting serious about writing after J.K. Rowling and Stephanie Meyer blazed the way for fantasy and paranormal writers.  After they wrote their blockbusters, people really started to understand that anything can happen in fiction.  We’re not limited to the constraints of reality. 

M:  What made you choose this genre?

CC:  I chose Paranormal Romance as my genre of choice because of that very reason…. We’re not limited to the constraints of reality.  If you can dream it up, you can write it down.   I mean, we all live fairly ordinary lives (unless say, you’re Lady Gaga or someone).  When we read, don’t we want to get taken to fantasy worlds?  I know that I do.

M:  What is your favorite book? 

CC:  My all-time fave book is The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.  I love that little book for a hundred reasons… and everything Mitch Albom touches is magic.

M:  Who is your favorite author and why? 

CC:  I have tons of favorite authors—in several different genres.  I’ve added you to my list, btw.  And Richelle Mead and Mitch Albom are on there.  My friend Wren Emerson has a series coming out soon that is phen-om-enal.  I’ve been lucky enough to read it before it’s released.  So, she’s on my list now.  My list is long.  J   

M:  If there was one thing in life that you could go back and do differently, what would it be?

CC:  Oh, like everyone else, there a hundred things I would change if I could. But I try to remind myself that I can’t.  And every road that I’ve ever been on has led me to this moment—and I kind of like it here. 

M:  Favorite food?

CC:  Mexican.  Hands down, every day of the week, if I could.   (Extra cheese and calories, please!)

M:  Favorite saying?

CC:  Saying?  Hmm.   I’m a realist, so I try not to get all worked up about daily drama.  I mean, we’re all going to have drama at some point, so there is no reason to get high blood pressure over it, right?   I tend to say, “It is what it is,” a lot. 

And when I’m going through a rough patch, I always remind myself that “This too shall pass,” which is something that my grandma used to tell me.  And you know what?  She was right.  It always does. 

You can read more about Courtney in this article that was printed in a newspaper local to her.  You can also find her on her blog, on FB or on Twitter @CourtwritesYA. 

I would like to thank Courtney for agreeing to let me interview her.  I've begun her book and will be posting a review in the future.  But until then, y'all go out and buy it!   You can find it at Amazon, B&N, and at Smashwords.

Thanks to everyone out there who supports Indie authors by buying our books and then spreading the word.  So many dreams couldn't come true without you.

Happy Manic Monday everybody!
Post a Comment