Friday, September 30, 2011

YA Indie Carnival Post- My Dream Cast



Step right up, folks!  Come get your daily dose of carni fun!  No cabbage here, but some of us have small hands.  I thank you!  (That was my tribute to Austin Powers, for those of you who don't get my strange humor)

First of all, let me tell you that I'm so glad to be back on the merry-go-round!  Woohoo!!  I enjoy participating in these posts and I'm determined to make plenty of time to do other things this fall, things that don't include stressing about sequels:)  So, here I am!  LOL  These posts are always so much fun to write.  Well, except this one.  This topic, the first back-to-the-funhouse question, is probably the hardest thing in the world for me to write about. 

Who is my dream cast for the book I'm currently working on?

What a loaded question!  Currently, I am working on the sequel to The Reaping.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to title it The Reckoning.  Now, for those of you who haven't read The Reaping (you should go get it right this minute!!  hehe), it is a bit darker than my usual and the characters are always into something, which makes me think that they'd need to be played by actors capable of pulling off action-packed scenes.  But these guys are also HOT!  Carson is beautiful and strong-willed, determined and, at times, very self-less.  Derek is loyal and protective, but he's also breathtakingly handsome and fully loaded with that devil-may-care, dangerous bad-boy charisma.  Do you know how hard it is to find someone in Hollywood to fit that bill?  It's very, very hard!  And I've tried.  I've been asked this question a million times about all my books and I never have good answers. 

In the beginning, I picked people who were hot enough to play the roles, but I was just never happy with those choices.  There is so much more depth to Carson and Derek, depth that I simply can't pinpoint by looking at headshots and watching actors play other roles.  I've often laughed about copping out of this question in interviews, stating that I would leave it up to the worldly casting director (as long as I had veto power, of course).  I think they, in all their infinite wisdom, often see things that the rest of us don't.  At least not initially.  I've often thought, "What?  That's a terrible choice for__________!"  But almost just as often, I find that I'm thrilled with the decision after I've seen the people in action. 

So, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to disappoint you.  I have no clue who could bring star power and life to Carson and Derek.  I believe it can be done.  I also believe that I'd know it when I saw them.  I think they would jump right out and grab me by the front of the shirt and never let go.  And that's all that I ask of my characters.  That's all!  hehe.  No pressure.

Before you go, here's a sneak peek at what I'm working on:

Shadows flexed all around me as I made my way down the deserted street.  Long, black fingers stretched into the light—reaching for me, straining toward me—only to shrink quickly away, receding into the ocean of darkness.  They could no longer touch me, no longer get close to me.  They just didn’t know why.

Instinctively, I knew they wanted to hurt me, to envelope and smother me.  They wanted to curl their dark digits around my throat like a collar of death and squeeze until there was no life left in my body.  But they couldn’t.  My light, though not visible to the human eye, was too bright.  The shadows could not hold their form against it, against me.   They could not abide the white, shining soul of Heaven’s reaper.

--The Reckoning, coming October 31, 2011

Lastly, there are a couple of announcements about my fellow Indies and they are:

Gwenn Wright's The Von Strassenberg Saga. Dani just released (and designed!) the official cover for BlueStocking Girl! Here's a link to Gwenn's awesome video:
http://hereventuality.blogspot.com/2011/08/von-strassenberg-sagaa-reading.html

Laura A. H. Elliott's 13 on Halloween new release! Book trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksO8iGOhc5s
Excerpt here:
http://laurasmagicday.wordpress.com/13-on-halloween-excerpt/

Don't miss all the other carnies.  You can find them here:

Dani Snell Refracted Light Reviews
Patti Larsen Author of The Ghost Boy of MacKenzie House, The Hunted Series and the Hayle Coven Novels
Courtney Cole Author of Every Last Kiss, Fated, Princess, and Guardian. Also a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Nicole Williams Author of Eternal Eden, and Fallen Eden. She is also a contributing author in the Glassheart Chronicles
Fisher Amelie Author of The Understorey, as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Laura Elliott Author of Winnemucca as well as 13 on Halloween, book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
Amy Jones Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Rachel Coles Author of Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie, Whistles, Beergarden, Plagues, Bees of St. John, and Mushrooms
T.R. Graves Author of Warriors of the Cross
PJ Hoover Author of Solstice, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, The Necropolis
Alicia McCalla Author of the upcoming science-fiction novel Breaking Free
Heather Cashman Author of Perception
Abbi Glines Author of Breathe, and the upcoming Existence and Vincent Boys
Cheri Schmidt Author of Fateful, Fractured, and Fair Maiden
Lexus Luke Author of Manitou, The Sky People Saga
Suzy Turner Author of December Moon and Raven
K.C. Blake Author of Vampire Rules
Gwenn Wright Author of Filter
Kimberly Kinrade Author of Bits of You, Pieces of Me and Forbidden Mind
Darby Karchut Author of Griffin Rising and the upcoming Griffin's Fire
Madeline Smoot Author of Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
Post a Comment