Friday, October 7, 2011

YA Indie Carnival Post- My Favorite Character

It's that time of the week again, folks!  Open up because it's time for your much-needed dose of Carni fun again.  Strange how that happens on a regular basis, isn't it?  Hmm.  Just remember that our particular brand of delicious fun costs you nothing, is fat free AND calorie free, and it won't embarrass you in front of your friends.

Today's topic is :

Who is my favorite character to write about?

Well, of course I like writing about most of my characters, even the bad ones.  It's fun to slip into the mind of a villain sometimes--to deviously plot revenge, to be the one to throw a monkey wrench in the works and, most importantly, they always get the good evil laugh.  That can be amusing at times, especially if used appropriately.  But overall, if I had to pick one character that I enjoyed writing about the most (and I'm only including completed works, not WIPs or planned works) I would have to say...Bo. 

Bo is the male lead from my vampire series, Blood Like Poison.  I know he is most of my readers' favorite character and I think one of the reasons for that is how easily I can slip inside his head and write what he's feeling and how he would react to something.  I know how much he loves Ridley.  I know the lengths he would happily go to for her.  I know that he can't live without her.  I know that she makes him laugh and ache and grit his teeth and sigh. 

As I was thinking about Bo, I knew I wanted him to be a bit tortured, a bit conflicted and a lot in love.  I wanted him to be able to give Ridley that unconditional, whole-hearted love that we all dream about and that Ridley so desperately lacked yet needed.  I wanted her to know that he would walk through fire for her, that he would swim the oceans and search the world for her, that he would fight lions and vampires and zombies for her, and all because he loves her far more than he loves himself.  I wanted him to be incredibly selfless without being a martyr.  I wanted him to be intensely emotional without being a pansy.  I wanted him to be a warrior without being ruthless.  I wanted him to be all man, but all about love, too.  All about Ridley.  And I think, for the most part, he nailed it.  

To me, Bo is the ultimate guy--he's always the gentleman, the consummate lover, the fierce protector, the sweet comforter and the knight in shining armor.  Bo is like the most delicious dessert ever made.  And the cherry on top of it all?  He's HOT!  Like, so-hot-it-hurts hot:)  But why would he not be?  I mean, if I'm going to write about the perfect man, he might as well be perfect, right?  Right! 

If you've never met Bo, you really should.  And in the course of getting to know him, you can meet Lucius, the soon-to-be hero of my next book in that series.  He's shaping up to be just as fascinating as Bo, but in a totally different way.  He's a charmer and I think if I have to do a post again a year from now, he might be the character I would pick.  We'll see;)

Now for some announcements:

Rachel Coles has a new anthology called Beyond The Veil: A Ghost Story Anthology that will be available today on Amazon and Smashwords.

Darby Karchut's book, Griffin Rising, is a nominee for the 2011 Cybils Awards (YA fantasy).

Dani Snell will be having an interview with fellow carnie Kimberly Kinrade and a giveaway for her first book in the Forbidden series, Forbidden Mind.  Find that here

Our own Laura Elliott will be on tour with The Rain Boots Required Young Adult Authors talking about "The magic of magical realism."  She'll also be at Wordstock Oct 8-9.

Before you go, take a spin on the merry-go-round and check out some of my fellow carnies:

Dani Snell Refracted Light Reviews
Patti Larsen Author of The Ghost Boy of MacKenzie House, The Hunted Series and the Hayle Coven Novels
Courtney Cole Author of Every Last Kiss, Fated, Princess, and Guardian. Also a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Nicole Williams Author of Eternal Eden, and Fallen Eden. She is also a contributing author in the Glassheart Chronicles
Fisher Amelie Author of The Understorey, as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Laura Elliott Author of Winnemucca as well as 13 on Halloween, book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
Amy Jones Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Rachel Coles Author of Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie, Whistles, Beergarden, Plagues, Bees of St. John, and Mushrooms
T.R. Graves Author of Warriors of the Cross
PJ Hoover Author of Solstice, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, The Necropolis
Alicia McCalla Author of the upcoming science-fiction novel Breaking Free
Heather Cashman Author of Perception
Abbi Glines Author of Breathe, and the upcoming Existence and Vincent Boys
Cheri Schmidt Author of Fateful, Fractured, and Fair Maiden
Lexus Luke Author of Manitou, The Sky People Saga
Suzy Turner Author of December Moon and Raven
K.C. Blake Author of Vampire Rules
Gwenn Wright Author of Filter
Kimberly Kinrade Author of Bits of You, Pieces of Me and Forbidden Mind
Darby Karchut Author of Griffin Rising and the upcoming Griffin's Fire
Madeline Smoot Author of Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
Cidney Swanson Author of Ripple series

TGIF and, as always, happy reading:)
Post a Comment