Thursday, November 24, 2011

YA Indie Carnival- THANKSgiving

I think the "carnival" theme is particularly appropriate around the holidays, don't you?  If your house is anything like mine, it sure feels like a carnival!  But it's a fun carnival, full of laughter and food and the best kind of chaos. The last few years, I've been unable to spend the actual day of Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family, which has really made me appreciate that particular brand of chaos all the more.  But, rather than mourn the quiet that envelopes my house, I am going to tell you about last Thanksgiving.


In November of last year, about a week and a half before Thanksgiving, my husband and I made the decision that I would quit my job and focus solely on writing.  We had no guarantees that anything would work out, that I'd sell even a single book or that I wouldn't have to go on a job hunt as of March of the following year, but we both agreed to take that step of faith.  If you've ever made such a drastic life decision, you know how scary and exciting something like that can be.  Making it so near the holiday season only added to the anxiety of the situation.  Since that day, it hasn't always been easy.  It hasn't always been roses and bubble gum.  It hasn't always felt like I did the right thing.  I can't say that I haven't had my moments of doubt.  But now, just over a year later, I can say that, scary or not, it was the best decision I've ever made.  Despite the uncertainty of it all, I've had more job satisfaction in 2011 than I've had in virtually any other year of my life, since I started working that is.  Childhood was the best job ever, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't count:)  Anyway, even though I've still seen many struggles with the path I chose, I can still say with absolute conviction that I honestly wish that everyone could have such a miraculous experience. 

I've seen God's provision like never before, His blessings and His comfort.  I've met some of the most amazing people I could ever hope to meet.  I've grown in ways I never thought possible.  I've been challenged in areas I never thought to be challenged.  I've prevailed in some ways, failed in others.  I've been anxious, ecstatic, devastated, satisfied, and perplexed.  I've never been more uncertain of tomorrow.  But I've also never been more optimistic, so curious to see what's around the bend. 

In short, today, Thanksgiving Day 2011, it occurs to me that I have more to be thankful for than ever before.  I've seen another year of good health for me and my family, I've seen dreams come true and miracles happen (even small ones that I've really had to look for) and I've seen what the possibilities of tomorrow look like through the realities of today.  My biggest wish is that everyone who reads this can say the same thing.  Whatever your dreams, your struggles, your failures, your losses, I hope you can look at your glass and see that it truly is half full.  Perception is reality, right?  Well then perceive the good.  Perceive the positive, the inspiring, the gratifying, the beautiful.  There's always hope and, if nothing else, we always have that to be thankful for.  After all, where would we be without it??


Since I'm putting my post up early, you'll have to wait until tomorrow to visit all the other carnis, but please do so.  You won't be disappointed:)

Dani Snell Refracted Light Reviews
Patti Larsen Author of The Ghost Boy of MacKenzie House, The Hunted Series and the Hayle Coven Novels
Courtney Cole Author of Every Last Kiss, Fated, Princess, and Guardian. Also a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Nicole Williams Author of Eternal Eden, and Fallen Eden. She is also a contributing author in the Glassheart Chronicles
Fisher Amelie Author of The Understorey, as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Laura Elliott Author of Winnemucca as well as 13 on Halloween, book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
Amy Jones Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Rachel Coles Author of Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie, Whistles, Beergarden, Plagues, Bees of St. John, and Mushrooms
T.R. Graves Author of Warriors of the Cross
PJ Hoover Author of Solstice, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, The Necropolis
Alicia McCalla Author of the upcoming science-fiction novel Breaking Free
Abbi Glines Author of Breathe, and the upcoming Existence and Vincent Boys
Cheri Schmidt Author of Fateful, Fractured, and Fair Maiden
Lexus Luke Author of Manitou, The Sky People Saga
Suzy Turner Author of December Moon and Raven
K.C. Blake Author of Vampire Rules
Gwenn Wright Author of Filter
Kimberly Kinrade Author of Bits of You & Pieces of Me and Forbidden Mind
Darby Karchut Author of Griffin Rising and the upcoming Griffin's Fire
Madeline Smoot Author of Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
Cidney Swanson Author of Ripple series
Heather Self Blogger, Reviewer and upcoming Indie Author
Post a Comment