Friday, January 13, 2012

YA Indie Carnival- Books I'm Grateful For

Well, after some seriously crazy holidays, we're back!  Back on the merry-go-round, back to regular life, back to writing, which is something I'm particularly grateful for.  But that's not what I'm here to talk about today.  Today our topic is:

Books I'm grateful for and why

My answer is actually fairly simple, as all my most influential books seems to point to one thing--LOVE.  Love in all its forms--unconditional, self-sacrificing, happy, tearful, painful, perfect, blissful, tumultuous, satisfying.  There aren't enough adjective to describe love and here's where I got my first tastes of it.

My first favorite book for pretty much every reason ever is, of course, the Bible.  It was the first book I ever owned in life--literally. It was a sweet little zippered, illustrated gift from my parents.  I still have it.  Yes, it has my baby scribble in it.  Yes, it has my learning-to-make-my-letters scribble in it.  Yes, it has some fairly intuitive notes as I learned to actually pay attention in church in it.  Most importantly, though, it has all the life lessons I'll ever need to learn in it.  And it taught me about love.  Real love.  The kind that puts other's needs above your own.  The kind that always does the right thing, even when it hurts.  The kind that is as unconditional as we as humans can experience it.  The kind that's as unconditional as God Himself can give it.  That kind of love.

My second favorite book was Cinderella.  Yep, the original Cinderella.  The one with the golden spine.  I had it memorized.  Mom said she could never skip anything because I'd know and I'd make her read it the right way.  Apparently we even got to the point where I would to read it to her--even before I could actually read.  I guess in retrospect that should have been a big clue as to where my life would go.

My third favorite book was, as you've heard me say before, The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss.  It was this most amazing historical romance with a fascinatingly fierce leading man, an outrageously strong leading lady and an awe-inspiring epic love story expertly woven between them.  If you've never read it and that sort of thing is your cup of tea, I highly recommend it!  To me, books like that--stories like that--never get old.  

My fourth favorite book, which I wasn't even going to mention, is one that introduced me to the gut-wrenching kind of love that many authors choose to write about.  *cough cough* Nicholas Sparks *cough cough*  It was a little book called The Thorn Birds by  Colleen McCullough.  It's a love story. It's a heartbreaking love story that has haunted me since my first exposure to it.  It's one of those books where no one gets the happy ending.  Everyone does what's right rather than what love demands and they all die miserable.  Well pretty much.  It's fabulous, don't get me wrong.  I'm just not an unhappy ending kind of person.  Or even a bittersweet ending kind of person.  I like the ride-off-into-the-sunset, happily-ever-after kind.  Period.  But I can still appreciate the other kinds.  And they still make an impression.  And this one did.  But I still prefer the rainbows and roses.  I get enough of reality just living life.  I don't need an extra dose of melancholy in my entertainment.  Thanks, but no thanks. 

Okay, so there you have it.  These are just a few of the books I'm most grateful for.  I'm sure you have your own stories, so by all means, leave me a comment and share.  I'm all about hearing your stories, as those of you who chat with me know:)

TGIF y'all!  Hope your Friday the 13th is a little a good way.  Happy reading!!!

Go check out my fellow carnis' book choices!!

Dani Snell Refracted Light Reviews
Patti Larsen Author of The Ghost Boy of MacKenzie House, The Hunted Series and the Hayle Coven Novels
Courtney Cole Author of Every Last Kiss, Fated, Princess, and Guardian. Also a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Fisher Amelie Author of The Understorey, as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Laura Elliott Author of Winnemucca as well as 13 on Halloween, book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
Amy Jones Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy as well as a contributing author in The Glassheart Chronicles
Rachel Coles Author of Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie, Whistles, Beergarden, Plagues, Bees of St. John, and Mushrooms
T.R. Graves Author of Warriors of the Cross
PJ Hoover Author of Solstice, The Emerald Tablet, The Navel of the World, The Necropolis
Cheri Schmidt Author of Fateful, Fractured, and Fair Maiden
Lexus Luke Author of Manitou, The Sky People Saga
Suzy Turner Author of December Moon and Raven
K.C. Blake Author of Vampire Rules
Gwenn Wright Author of Filter
Kimberly Kinrade Author of Bits of You & Pieces of Me and Forbidden Mind
Madeline Smoot Author of Missing, Summer Shorts, and The Girls
Cidney Swanson Author of Ripple series
Heather Self Blogger, Reviewer and upcoming Indie Author
Heather M. White, Author of The Destiny Saga
Melissa Pearl, Author The Time Spirit Trilogy
T. G. Ayer
Bryna Butler, Author of Midnight Guardian series
Post a Comment