Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Everything for Us- music and misery

I'm often asked about how music plays a role in my writing.  Although I don't listen to music as I write, music is the backdrop for nearly every word of it nonetheless.  It's always there, setting the tone for where my characters are emotionally, where they've been and where they're going.  In my head, once I write the scene, the music is inexorably entwined with it, like it poured from their souls into notes that I can hear.  This is one example.  If you've ever loved someone you knew was bad for you, someone you knew would hurt you, but you couldn't not love them, then you'll understand this.

The song:  Poison and Wine by The Civil Wars  You can listen to it as you read by clicking the link on my sidebar.

The scene:

“I’m so sorry for the life you had to lead. You were so young,” she says, her voice thick with emotion.  “You didn’t deserve that.”

Her hand splays across my chest as she scatters kisses all over my face and neck.  I feel drops of warm wetness every so often.  I don’t realize they’re tears until one hits my lips and I taste the salt.

She makes her way to my stomach then down my right leg and back up again, dragging her lips and tongue along the inside of my thigh.

It’s not often I see the goodness in people. Or that they surprise me with compassion.  Yet Marissa has.  I just told her I’m a criminal and a killer, and rather than running the other direction, she cried for me.


Something burns deep inside my chest.  I don’t have time to think about it or deny it, or devise a plan to rid myself of it.  Marissa sees to that when her lips close over me.  She makes it so that she’s all I can think about.  She erases all other thoughts with the first swipe of her tongue.  And I’m happy to let them go.


Purchase here:

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
iTunes
Kobo
Post a Comment