Wednesday, October 8, 2014


I feel like I should preface this (and every post forEVER after this) with the warning that rambling, divulging of inconsequential information, sharing of too much personal crap and the general telling of things that I probably ought-notta shall commence in 3--2--1...

So, you notice that the title of this post is THERAPY.  Because that's what I need.  I once heard a therapist say that even therapists need therapy, that everyone needs a safe place to talk about their problems, air out their feelings.  Is this a safe place?  I hope so.  It's certainly public enough. LOL  For that reason alone, I'll try to keep more...sensitive stuff to a minimum. hehe  I'd hate to get flagged or something.  If I'm not already.  *looks over shoulder*

For about the last year, I've struggled quite a bit, career-wise.  Add to that some health issues involving my family and it makes for some significant stress.  My knee-jerk reaction when I'm stressed or overwhelmed is to withdraw.  That's just the way I am.  That's probably not always the best course of action, though, so today I'm gonna use y'all (bless your hearts) as my therapists.  The cool thing is, you don't really have to do anything. Just listen.  Maybe make an encouraging comment here or there as you feel the need to.  If you do, that's fine. If you don't, that's fine, too.

See, what I'm learning is that you can't always rely on your friends to see when you're hurting and offer you some encouragement.  Sometimes NO ONE can fix what hurts, if it even CAN be fixed.  But hurt doesn't last forever. Thank God. You just have to figure out how best to weather the tough times.  Whether it's yoga or actual therapy or mediation or, like for me, seeking spiritual guidance, do what you have to do get through to the next day. Or the one after that.  Weeping may endure for the night, but joy comes in the morning.  And it always does.  Eventually.  But in the meantime, look around.   What I've noticed recently is that God always gives me somebody, whether my wonderful husband who lets me know I'm loved a million times every day or an email from a reader telling me that, while she doesn't interact much on social media, she follows me and loves my work.  We always have what we need in our lives.  We are surrounded by people who keep us humble, keep us encouraged, keep us laughing, keep us wise.  It just might not be the same people all the time.  But they're there, nonetheless.  They pick you up, or sometimes HOLD you up, until you can stand on your own again.  And then, when it's all said and done, you blog about it. Or at least that's what I'm doing. hehehe

The moral of this story is that life isn't perfect for anyone.  Everybody has rough days or weeks or months or sometimes years.  We all help each other through it, whether on the giving or the receiving end.  We take turns. And that's what's so cool about the human race.  When we aren't buried in our own misery, we're helping someone else out of theirs.  And that's a good thing, because it might be THEIR hand that reaches into the quicksand for us next time.  #Truth

Just an FYI, because I'm feeling so, so good today, I'm going to choose someone who comments on this post to receive a signed paperback of ALL THINGS PRETTY.  I'll post the winner on Saturday:)

Have a  marvelous week!
Post a Comment